Monday, August 6, 2007

The Phlegm/Charlelle/Don't Leave My Leg Out There


the phlegm/charlelle/don't leave my leg out there
volume one number three

it's true, I used to be far more ridiculous than nowadays.
I used to write songs that were so silly I never released them.
following my year of frank zappa's tutelage it might be expected
to try my hand at "humor music", and in the wacky company of GAGA*,
a band noted for wearing pea hats onstage, it seemed like the thing to do.
but that was in 1978.
it would be 3 more long years before I was finally in a position
to make my own first record and by then the joke's had worn off.
so this ridiculous trio of songs gathered dust and were never released.

still they show the commitment of GAGA's near-vaudevillian lunacy
and feature some blistering saxophone playing by bill janssen.

*see the february 5 blog called peas.

bass guitar, back-up vocals: rich denhart
piano, back-up vocals: christy bley
saxophone, back-up vocals: bill janssen
drums, guitar, and vocals: adrian
recorded at Cwazy Wabbit Studio in Springfield, Ill.
sometime in 1978
engineer: rich denhart
length: (9:40)

1 comment:

  1. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that one of my favorite musicians growing up wrote a song about my wife (who was only 8 at the time and certainly not a transvestite, I am sure). Her name is so unusual as to historically google little more than our own indignities, but fortunately my wife, Charlelle, loves you also, enough not to be dismayed by the indignity of being uniquely associated with the content of this little ditty.

    ReplyDelete